Hampton City School Attendance Policy
Attendance on a daily basis is a mandatory requirement of all students. To assist Hampton City Schools families with becoming familiar with the attendance expectations for elementary, middle, and high school, parents and children.
If your child was Absent from School, follow the procedures below:
As your child's parent/guardian, please:
- Call school and inform attendance clerk that your child will not be attending school that day and provide an explanation. Be sure to contact school each morning your child will be absent.
- Upon your child returning to school, provide him/her with a note to excuse absences (save a copy for yourself for verification that note was submitted). The note should include date(s) of absences, name of child, and reason for absences.
- If the attendance clerk is unavailable, leave a message stating: name of child, grade level, and explanation for absence.
- If you are aware of scheduled appointments for your child (i.e., medical, dental, etc.) in advance that will take place during school hours, inform and provide documentation to the attendance clerk ahead of time or when your child returns to school.
- If you know ahead of time your child will be out of school for two or more days due to medical reasons, death in the family, etc. keep contacting the school until you can speak to someone directly and receive instruction on how to (receive) excused absences.
- Vacations are not excused absences.
- Only five parent notes will be accepted to excuse absences. Beyond this, medical or other documentation will need to be submitted.
Please contact Phoebus Attendance Clerk, Mrs. Lisa Burgess at 757.727.1002 if you have any questions.
You may email her with information on a student absence at
Copyright © 2018 Hampton City Schools. All Rights Reserved. One Franklin Street, Hampton, Virginia, 23669 757-727-2000 The Hampton City School Division is not responsible for the contents of any off-site webpages referenced from HCS servers. Hampton City Schools Non-Discrimination Notice - HCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age or other protected classes in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Robbin G. Ruth, Executive Director, Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669 757-727-2000.
Contact the school webmaster: email@example.com